Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Being a bibliophile

I just updated our "What We're Reading" section to reflect what we're actually reading. I wish there were more hours in the day so that I could sit down and read more often than I can. I'm naturally a morning person, but lately I've found myself reading until late in the night because I can't seem to find the time otherwise. I realized today that I'm in the middle of reading no less than 4 books. Each of them has a unique purpose, and I've categorized them to try to "round out" my reading list.

1. Spiritual books - for meditation and reflection. I am using The Better Part for my meditations, but also reading I Believe in Love for the 3rd time (one of my favorites) for part of my Holy Hour.

2. Entertainment - those wonderful books that are purely for entertainment. Tom got me hooked on the Wheel of Time series, and now I'm on the 11th book. Wonderful, quick reads for those who are interested in the genre of "high fantasy" (a la Lord of the Rings).

3. Family/Marriage/Parenting - Believing that my state in life as a wife and a mother is truly a vocation from God, I have the duty to be the best wife and mother that I can. I'm trying to make sure that I incorporate books/blogs in to my day that help me along that path.

4. Informative/Politics - I'm kind of a talk radio and news nerd. I love the intellectual stimulation that looking in to the arenas of history and politics gives me. Especially as a stay-at-home mom, I thrive on trying to stay up-to-date on the news and politics of the day.

Like I said above, I wish that there were more hours in the day. I could probably fill them all with plunging through books that cover all of these different categories. *Sigh* But with a seemingly endless laundry pile, dishes to be done, babies to be played with and cared for, and a house to be taken care of, I find that I'm lucky if I can manage a little bit of non-essential (non-meditation) reading during my day. One thing I'm thankful for is that Clare is turing in to quite the little reader herself. I look forward to the days when we can snuggle up on the couch and do some independent reading. For now, I'm content with reading Go, Dog. Go! ten times a day.

No comments: